Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I Most Agree With This One

Browsing around for the Creative Powers post, I found this -
(click here for the original with pictures!!!!)


"Comics and Hollywood: A Love Story..."

I was quoted recently as saying that the Cartoon Network's Justice League is "...a kid's show. And a poor one at that...". What I meant was there's very little food for thought in your average episode. The beauty of Batman/Superman: The Animated Series is that they were aimed at kids, but designed so that adults could enjoy them too. The stories had meat on their bones. That's just not so with Justice League. JL seems more geared towards the short-attention span crowd. It certainly moves at a faster pace. Most cartoons do that nowadays. Watch the early episodes of The Simpsons and then watch a current one. There's a noticeable change in pacing, style, and overall storytelling techniques. What a difference a decade makes. I suppose this change in style is not so unusual. As a matter of fact, I've seen it all too often. In the comic industry right now, the average reader fits into the 18-34 years old demographic. Young kids used to be the prime audience, but things change. It's the "chicken and the egg" paradox: "Did comics get serious because kids stopped reading, or did kids stop reading because comics got too serious?" It's a mystery for the ages. One universal truth is that comic books have always reflected the times. The post-Depression era "Golden Age"; again with the "Silver Age" in the 60s; then again with "Crisis" in the late 80s, and now most recently post-9/11. The Ultimates, The Authority, and a no-nonsense Captain America, those are all the current buzz-worthy books. I find it truly wonderful that Cap has come full circle. He, like Superman, embodies everything about super-heroism and the American spirit. He's a man out of time, and it's fitting that he adapts so well with the changing culture in our "real world"......

(for the full original with pictures!!!!)
(click above link to continue)

No comments:

Post a Comment