Vixen, the woman who can interpret different animal powers, was growing on me. She's charming, smart, loyal, and spunky. Sure, there's the stereotypical MoTown hot black chick but whatever, I was tired of watching Hawkgirl's "I don't do womanly things" attitude. There's a couple thousand different animals out there in the world, at least a hundred with usable capabilities.
So what does she use? I've seen 5 episodes with her: elephant, cheetah, spider, panther (yeah, they're not real - I mean she just uses some large cat, idk what it is) and donkey.
Sounds alright in list form, until you realize she's using these powers for little less than 5 seconds, and uses elephant and cheetah about 2 or 3 times PER EPISODE. I mean, come on!! Have fun with the damn power you have!

Next we have Green Lantern; I'll take Crazy-Steve-All-Star-Batman's point of view in that Big Green doesn't use the best of his abilities. There's a situation - GL will use: a) a ball of green forcefield, b) a giant green hand, or c) a huge light of green that can do something. SOOO boring. Sure, they can be effective, but again, have some fun with your powers! I bet Green Lanterns of other sectors are more interesting...
Last we have Superman.
(I'll save my overall Superman rant for later times when I can commit to them more, and try to keep this "objective.")
Under Supes' cape we have: speed, strength, laser eyes, freeze breath, near invincibility, flying, breathing in space/underwater
Of these, he uses stength and flying. Yeah, sure, he uses speed. SOMETIMES. Maybe it's the animator's fault, but I expect speed to look fast, like in Dragonball Z or Matrix, you know? He goes generically fast, but no faster than Nightwing when he is supposed to be comparable to Flash... Not buyin it.
He reserves his "cool" powers for 3 episode story archs or very VERY dire situations, but rarely when simple laser vision fixes everything in a jiffy but he prefers to be beaten to pieces and either go "Oh yeah, I can shoot lasers!!" or jump up and say "Naw, naw, I can still throw a punch"
I want Batman to have your powers, so he can just walk up to you and be like "Really? Fuck you for not saving the world 3 million times faster than you have been."
(Yeah, I know Batman gets the Green Lantern Ring at one point but I haven't read the actual situation yet, and the picture I've seen just makes it look like he's from All Star or some Morrison damnation)
The reasoning they gave for John's utilitarian ring creations was that he was former military, and thus was concerned about simplicity and practicality first. I think it's kind of a cop-out, especially as the original comics-verse John Stewart was an architect who used simple constructs because he thought they were beautiful - and used more complex ones as well.
ReplyDeleteHave you read many comics with Kyle Rayner? His day job (as if a GL needs a day job, really) is a graphic designer, and he's definitely one of the most creative Lanterns. At one point I remember he teamed up with Connor Hawke, and they needed to get across the city in a hurry...so Kyle made them a couple of giant green Pegasi to ride. :D He's also a bit of a geek.
Oh, that completely makes sense.. for a cop-out. Haha. That's too bad they changed him, the original sounds interesting, although I enjoy the episodes that feature John more since Batman usually doesn't make it in.
ReplyDeleteNow I really want to see what architect John creates.. =/
I've actually just started to branch out from Batman in the last couple months, so this was a confusing episode I just saw on JLU that featured Rayner - I know Hal Jordan, John Stewart, and the annoying one that everyone hates with the bowl cut red hair. haha. Rayner sounds interesting though, cool bit of information!
Ah - Guy Gardner. Couldn't remember his name!
ReplyDeleteOH MY GOD I HATE GUY GARDENER HE MAKES ME RAAAAGE.
ReplyDeleteahem.
haha, see? I was right with the description!
ReplyDelete